La Terremoto de Alcorcón - Liberate

    I woke up this morning with the hangover from hell and a bruised forehead thanks to falling off a table dancing to Lady Gaga. Talk about a fucking poker face! I've spent most of the day munching on Neurofen and rifling through my suitcase of souvenirs in an attempt to find something trashtastic to write about. I knew I had struck gold the moment I saw La Terremoto de Alcorcón's (literally - "The earthquake from Alcorcón") beautiful face poking out from behind some Marta Sanchez CDs. The Spanish gays were kind enough to give me a copy of "Liberate" when I was in Madrid and it was love at first sight. The stunning cover caught my attention but her amazing music really won me over. Since then I've spent hours watching La Terremoto's videos on youtube and I'm totally hooked on her fabulousness. This goddess is one of Spain's national treasures.

    La Terremoto de Alcorcón first came to fame singing parodies of gay anthems - kind of like a super camp Weird Al Yankovic. She's probably best known for her breathtaking rendition of "Hung Up", which no doubt threw Madonna into a jealous rage when she realised how much better La Terremoto looked in that leotard. Make sure you check out the brilliant video clip. Other highlights include her destruction of Kylie's "Can't Get You Out Of My Head" (here) and Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive" (here). It's no surprise that this diva swiftly became a gay icon and was selected to sing the theme to last year's Europride - the intoxicating "Liberate".

    As much as I love La Terremoto's parodies, none of them compare with the genius of this anthem. Produced by Toni Bass and Xavi Barranquero, "Liberate" is my idea of perfect pop. It's fun, witty, uplifting and catchy as hell. The track was also recorded in five different languages including English. I'm not sure how similar the different versions are but the English lyrics are hilarious. The verses contain gems like "take off your chaps, your wig, your baby doll, your stilettos, your fake moustache - let's have a bash!", while the chorus basically consists of La Terremoto screaming out the names of gay anthems: "I Am What I Am, Dancing Queen, I Want Your Sex, Y.M.C.A."! I wonder if the Spanish version follows the same pattern. Judging by the amazing video (below), I think it might. That would at least explain why La Terremoto dresses up as Mónica Naranjo and tries to decapitate herself with a knife. Since releasing "Liberate", this sexy señorita has been busy covering Kylie (again) and launching a failed bid for Eurovision glory. Hopefully, she'll release an album of original material in 2009. It would probably re-define pop as we know it! Keep an eye on La Terremoto's myspace for future developments.

    Source URL: https://popmusicrecords.blogspot.com/2008/12/la-terremoto-de-alcorcon-liberate.html
    Visit pop music records for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

Blog Archive