September's Trashtastic UK Makeover

    John from Pop Music Notes recently wrote a great post about the age old practice of overhauling music videos for different markets. This has been going on since the dawn of the MTV generation and shows no sign of letting up. John asked for memorable examples and I named Robyn's horrible UK remake of "Handle Me" as the prime example of how not to do it but I could have just as easily listed September's dreadful update of "Cry For You" (please remember that I'm talking about the video - not the song, which I adore). Almost a year has passed since that tragedy was unleashed on unsuspecting pop fans and September has finally found the time to re-work her "Can't Get Over" film clip to coincide with the song's impending UK release. Compare the Swedish original (here) with the new version above. Happily, this time the makeover is actually a significant improvement!

    I know I'm in the minority on this. Most of September's fans have railed against the cheesy sci-fi theme and hilarious special effects but I love it and think it's a trash classic in the making. The new version has spaceships, a couple of robots and an array of tacky costumes that would make Melissa Tkautz green with envy. It's like an ultra cheap version of Kylie's "Can't Get You Out Of My Head"! The original, on the other hand, was a disjointed mess that went absolutely nowhere. I will concede that Petra looked significantly better in the Swedish version (there's some serious Benjamin Buttons shit going on in the UK re-make!) but all things considered, this bright and colourful visual journey is a much better fit to what is basically a very fluffy pop song.

    Speaking of the music, I love the new remix. Does anyone else think they've added a cheeky sample over the intro? It's hardly original but it works and the remix manages to beef up the production, which previously bordered on the insipid. "Can't Get Over" has never been one of my favourite tracks from "Dancing Shoes" and I'm slightly concerned for its chart prospects. I have my fingers crossed that lightning strikes twice and September rides that fabulous spaceship to the top of the pops! "Can't Get Over" is released in the UK on the 9th of March and I'm told it will more than likely get an Australian release under the newly restructured Central Station Records. I'll keep you posted.

    Note: Scandipop recently conducted an interesting and insightful interview with the Swedish diva. Check it out here.

    The original Swedish cover - The new artwork is yet to be released

    Source URL: http://popmusicrecords.blogspot.com/2009/02/september-trashtastic-uk-makeover.html
    Visit pop music records for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

Blog Archive