The Day I Met Las Supremas!

    When I first wrote about Las Supremas De Móstoles on this blog, I never dreamed that I would one day get the chance to meet the gorgeous girls in person - but the universe had other plans. I had been given their amazing "Philadelphia Disco Party" CD as a gift (even though my friends now deny it - own up, bitches!) during my first stay in Madrid and spent the next two months listening to their camp Motown cover versions all over Europe. It seemed only fitting to write about them when I briefly re-opened my blog in London. In a strange twist of fate, that post coincided with the now notorious Boyz magazine interview about my tragic fabulous taste in music and I naturally mentioned Las Supremas. At length. Boyz then sought permission to use the band's picture in the article and before long I was in contact with their record company - with a date to meet the ladies the next time I was in Madrid!

    A Supremas Sandwich!

    Of all the crazy shit I got up to in Spain, meeting Las Supremas has to be the most surreal. It was the 5th of November. That date is burned into my memory forever. I was picked up by Christina (their lovely assistant) at Colón and we drove to the radio station where the ladies were scheduled to appear. It appears that Las Supremas De Móstoles are not only pop superstars in Spain, they have their own mini media empire - appearing on television and Punto Radio's "Queremos Hablar" with Ana Garcia Lozano. We arrived before them and I was introduced to Ana (a total sweetheart) and told the show's format. Basically, Las Supremas come on the show to chat about celebrity gossip and just be fabulous. They also sing the occasional song and have a running segment in which they make up new words. The time finally came for the ladies to arrive and I was completely starstruck. It's hard to believe but Vicky, Luisi and Susi are even more glamorous in real life! They are also three of the nicest women I've ever met. I spent about an hour with them - smoking cigarettes, flipping through magazines (research for the show) and chatting via Christina (their English isn't great and my Spanish is worse). The best moment was an impromptu sing-a-long before the show. The breathtaking threesome serenaded me with stunning acapella versions of Duffy's "Mercy" and Leona's "Bleeding Love"! I was really blown away by the strength of the voices and pitch perfect harmonies. Luisi then taught me the Spanish words for male genitalia by grabbing my privates. I felt like I had been groped by the hand of god!


    "I love you, coño"!

    The show itself was a lot of fun. I was invited to watch the proceedings from the studio and Las Supremas talked about their biggest (and probably only) Australian fan and they belted out a sublime version of "Killing Me Softly" in my honour. I was really quite overwhelmed. After the show there were more songs ("Sing A Happy Song" - my favourite from the album) and I had the chance to ask some questions about the future. 2009 looks like a busy year for them. There was talk of a new album, a television show and an attempt to break into the South American market. I tried to persuade them to tour Australia instead but they didn't appear very convinced! Whatever happens, I wish Las Supremas every success. They are unique in the world of pop and I worship the ground they walk on.

    In our defence - I was drunk and they were pulling faces!

    Source URL: http://popmusicrecords.blogspot.com/2008/12/day-i-met-las-supremas.html
    Visit pop music records for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

Blog Archive