Bat For Lashes - Daniel, The Video

    My infatuation with UK diva Bat For Lashes continues unabated with the unveiling of her latest video. In an earlier post, I declared "Daniel" the best song I've heard thus far in 2009. It's dark, intense beauty still has me completely mesmerised. I was hoping for an equally brilliant film clip and Natasha (her real name) has well and truly delivered. In an age where music videos are a dying art form (check out Britney's latest stinking turd over at Chart Rigger as exhibit A), "Daniel" bucks the trend with its disconcerting imagery and fairytale theme.

    The premise couldn't be more simple (or cost effective). Basically, it's a modern day re-enactment of Little Red Riding Hood. Only instead of a big, bad wolf, Natasha is menaced by a group of black balloon wearing dancers! It sounds ridiculous but the costumes freak me out and the overall effect is startling. I particularly love, and am also slightly terrified by, the scene where the balloon men ride on the top of Natasha's car. It's beautiful and disturbing in equal measure. Most importantly, the clip perfectly fits the music. At first I thought the scary elements took away from the song's dreaminess but the more I think about it, "Daniel" is the musical equivalent of a fairytale - sinister and menacing, yet magical and ultimately uplifting. By the way, am I the only one who sees parallels with Michael Jackson's "Thriller" video? The premise more so than the execution. Whatever the director's inspiration, the final result is undeniably spectacular.Source URL: http://popmusicrecords.blogspot.com/2009/03/bat-for-lashes-daniel-video.html
    Visit pop music records for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

Blog Archive