A Grower Not A Shower

    No, I'm not talking about my cock - rather the latest single from emerging Aussie pop star Cassie Davis. "Differently" is one of those annoying songs I want to hate but can't. It completely rubs me the wrong way but I still find myself humming the lyrics every time it comes on the radio, which seems like every five minutes. After a month of saturation airplay, I think I'm finally ready to come out of the closet and begrudgingly admit that I quite like "Differently", making it the year's most persistent grower.

    Even when I was in denial I had to admit that "Differently" has one major asset: a killer chorus that grabs you by the balls and refuses to let go. Seriously, this shit is more infectious than HIV at a bareback party! Unfortunately, the rest of the song leaves a lot to be desired. The intro is stilted, the verses are disjointed and the rap interlude (courtesy of Katy Perry's boyfriend) is the height of desperation. But despite all its flaws, the song still works thanks to that amazing chorus and the relentlessly upbeat lyrics about being true to yourself. Printz Board's catchy production doesn't hurt either.

    "Differently" may have won me over but the jury is still out on Cassie Davis. I don't know why I'm so underwhelmed by her. Her debut "Like It Loud" did absolutely nothing for me but I did enjoy the B-side (a cover of The Cure's "Boys Don't Cry"). My biggest problem with Cassie is her image. She just comes across as the girl next door doing her best P!nk impersonation. There's nothing wrong that but it does irritate me when she boasts about her individuality despite being the obvious product of Sony's marketing machine. That being said, "Differently" shows real potential and I am excited to hear her album.

    In the meantime, check out the video clip. There's a reason for all that green screen. Fans were invited to design the background through a competition on Cassie's website. I can't wait to see what they come up with. Hopefully there's an adults only entrant!


    Source URL: http://popmusicrecords.blogspot.com/2009/06/grower-not-shower.html
    Visit pop music records for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

Blog Archive