Amy Pearson's Desperate Makeover

    In 2009's most startling transformation, Amy Pearson has dropped her horsey girl-next-door image in favour of a sexy new look. She's also ditched the bland ballads that made her debut album a cure for insomnia and re-emerged with a hot new dance-pop sound. I'm not sure who Amy thinks she's fooling. She still looks like a librarian doing her best Britney impersonation but I couldn't care less. In one fell swoop, Amy has gone from being Australia's most boring pop star to a pop trash diva worth celebrating. I love the overwhelming sense of desperation and genuinely respect her for going after the notoriously hard to crack dance-pop market. It's a big risk. With the exception of the Minogue sisters, the genre has been very unkind to local acts - as Cheyne, Joanne and Melinda Jackson can testify! Admittedly, none of them had the backing of Sony and access to the world's hottest music producers.

    Speaking of hot producers, Amy's fabulously titled comeback single is apparently the handiwork of Rodney "Darkchild" Jerkins but it sure doesn't sound like it to me. "Butterfingers" is a pure pop explosion - complete with dubious lyrics, slick dance beats and catchy chorus. This could also be the best song about arse play since "Pull Up To The Bumper"! It takes a couple of listens to overcome visions of Amy covered in Wet Stuff but "Butterfingers" has completely won me over. The video (below) is a bit of trainwreck but I'm completely mesmerised. I can't believe someone thought it was a good idea to film it in a parking station but Amy's incredibly awkward dance moves and questionable outfits make it truly memorable! I've also been lucky enough to hear the diva's forthcoming album and I'm really impressed - particularly by the DNA penned "Ten Steps", which has radio hit written all over it. I never thought I'd say it but Amy Pearson could be the new face of Australian pop!

    Source URL: http://popmusicrecords.blogspot.com/2009/10/amy-pearson-desperate-makeover.html
    Visit pop music records for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

Blog Archive