The Week In Pop!

    It's time for another rundown of recent events in the Aussie pop world. By far the biggest revelation of the past week (if not the past century) is news that Melissa Tkautz is kicking off her 37th comeback with a new single to be released on the 10th of March! I mentioned the rumours regarding Mel's comeback in my recent Cherry post and for a change, the whispers turned out to be correct. Melissa's comeback single is indeed a cover of Transvision Vamp's "I Want Your Love"! The sure to be amazing anthem is credited to Nick Skitz featuring the sublime Ms Tkautz, which is a rather clever way of marketing this fabulous diva to the club scene. Pre-order your copy here. "I Want Your Love" is going to be a hit if I have to steal several hundred copies from JB Hi-Fi myself!

    Melissa Tkautz isn't the only pop icon embarking on an impressive comeback. Michael Jackson's 25th Anniversary edition of "Thriller" was released in Australia yesterday. I've expressed my reservations about "Thriller 25" in the past but the final product is surprisingly good. Expect a full review soon. The album's first single, "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' 2008", climbs to #8 on the singles chart - giving Michael his first top ten hit in Australia since "You Rock My World" debuted at #4 in 2001. In another interesting development, the original "Thriller" re-enters the album chart this week at #44. Could we be on the brink of another breakout of Jackson mania? La Toya needs to gets her shit together ASAP!

    Speaking of fabulous plastic surgery addicts, Fergie has another smash hit on her hands as the 6th single from "The Dutchess" storms into the Australian top 30. I can't get enough of "Here I Come". It's another so horrible it's genius effort that somehow manages to work a reference to Fergie's humps into a butchered Motown classic. As far as I'm concerned this amazing diva can do no wrong! I just wish they would hurry up and release the physical single. Other American divas releasing new material in Australia include Mandy Moore and Jordin Sparks. Mandy Moore's lovely 2007 album "Wild Hope" has been picked up by a local distributor to coincide with her upcoming tour with Kelly Clarkson. "Wild Hope" is released on the 25th of February and can be pre-ordered here. Speaking of Kelly, it's bad enough that heffer releases her rubbish in Australia but what have we done to deserve her dreary American Idol alumni Jordin Sparks? "Tattoo" is the worst single I've heard from the entire AI franchise - and that includes William Hung's offerings! Sadomasochists can buy Jordin's snoozefest from the 10th of March.

    From American Idol to Australian Idol, The Sunday Telegraph reports that Carl Riseley (above) has been signed to Universal Australia. Carl is basically a Michael Buble tribute act but still managed to place 3rd in the most recent season of Australian Idol. His album is said to contain swing covers of "We've Only Just Begun" and "The Letter". I think I'll pass. In more depressing news, the article also reveals that Dulta's fiance, Brian McFadden, has also signed a local deal. I guess Dulta really was the kiss of death for his UK career. Speaking of the dull one, "You Will Only Break My Heart" has been announced as the third single from her shiteous album.

    A vastly more appealing local diva is Vanessa Amorosi. I really wanted to like her comeback single, "Kiss Your Mama", but I just couldn't get into it. The second single "Perfect", however, looks rather more like my cup of tea if Vanessa's new look (above) is any indication! Someone who knows all about (slightly more flattering) makeovers is Kylie. Rob expertly recaps the latest Minogue developments on Don't Stop The Pop. I agree with everything except the criticism of Kylie's venture into the world of bed linen. Am I the only one who doesn't give a fuck what she does outside of music? Kylie can flog Vagasil and dental dams for all I care! If she's having fun and making money, good luck to her. However, I totally share Rob's excitement for "All I See" being considered for release in Canada. It's still my favourite track from "X". Meanwhile, the current Australian single will be released on Saturday. Pre-order your copy of "Wow" here and check out the fabulous film clip. The behind the scenes footage (below) gave me a whole new appreciation for time, effort and fabulousness involved in making the video.

    Source URL: http://popmusicrecords.blogspot.com/2008/02/week-in-pop.html
    Visit pop music records for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

Blog Archive