Hermanas Goggi - Estoy Bailando

    If I ever build a time machine, I'm setting the dial for 1979. It seems as good a year as any - Satan is yet to spawn Cheryl Cole, the charts are full of songs I actually like and stunning Eurotrash divas Las Hermanas Goggi are churning out sublime anthems like "Estoy Bailando" (literally, "I'm Dancing"). I don't know much about these fabulous Italian sisters apart from their names - Loretta and Daniela - and the fact that they created one of the campest disco tunes of all time.

    Like many Italian stars of the 1970s, the glamorous Goggi girls achieved considerable fame in Spain by releasing songs in Spanish. Their biggest (and perhaps only) hit was "Estoy Bailando", a tragic love story set to an irresistible disco beat. The chorus is as bright and shiny as a discoball, while the delicious duo wring every ounce of emotion from the words with their dramatic vocal delivery. The lyrics are camp genius but you don't need to understand a word of Spanish to appreciate this masterpiece. However, it helps.

    Unfortunately, the only thing I learned at Mexican School is ¿Me da un elote por favor? - so I asked Pablo to translate the song for me. I'm sure you'll be blown away by the epic scale of this tragic tale of woe. It's just like Romeo & Juliet, only without the feuding families and suicide!

    If we split up dancing
    It'll be easier than talking
    You dance with any blonde
    And I just get on the groove


    The resentment here is palpable. The Goggis are clearly dealing with an A Grade man whore!

    I drink your Coca Cola
    Left your glass empty
    And I keep dancing alone
    Or with any fling of mine


    Drink that Cola, bitches! I hope the bastard dies of thirst!

    I'm dancing
    I defend myself tooth and nail
    And my heart beats to the rhythm of the music
    and there in the world
    that's black like the deepest sea
    I'm dancing


    The girls start to sink into depression, which they express in a series of bad metaphors. Either that or they just scored some hard drugs.

    Like a sleep-walker who won't wake up
    Because I'm dancing
    I hide from sadness like Brazil
    After all everyone has a masquerade
    And tonight finally I get free from you.


    My money's on the drugs. And since when does Brazil "hide from sadness"? Someone please explain!

    So slow is this tragic tango
    You stare at me
    Come and dance with me
    The night is young
    Tomorrow we'll see


    Like Kylie, the desperate sisters have decided it's better the devil you know. I just hope he doesn't make them pay for the Cola.


    In order to get the full impact of Las Hermanas Goggi, check out this amazing television performance (below). They are so unbelievably fabulous. The hair is perfect, the outfits are spectacular and the choreography is heaven. I know this is kind of unrelated but why did Spain need to import Italian divas? Apart from Baccara, were there any Spanish disco acts?

    One more thing - Soraya needs to cover this song on her next album. Fact.

    Source URL: http://popmusicrecords.blogspot.com/2009/05/hermanas-goggi-estoy-bailando.html
    Visit pop music records for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

Blog Archive