George Michael - Live In Sydney

    As you can tell, I had amazing seats!

    It's not easy being a fan of 80s pop icons with highly publicised drug habits. I spent Wednesday night bathing in Whitney's sweat soaked glamour before doing it all over again on Friday at George Michael's Sydney show. The concerts couldn't have been more different - George was actually lucid and sang in tune - but I enjoyed them both equally. Albeit for very different reasons. Whitney was a hot mess but there was something unusually intimate about her trainwreck of a tour. George, on the other hand, was the epitome of professionalism. Everything from the staging to the setlist was immaculate and he cemented his reputation as a consummate live performer. Having just stumbled home from Mardi Gras, I'm not quite up to writing a proper review but here are some random thoughts on the George Michael experience:

    1. The man still looks hot - especially for a middle aged pothead. George, call me if you get bored. We'll smoke a bowl and cruise some beats!

    2. Time has not wearied the brilliance of "Fast Love", "Too Funky" and "Freedom" one iota.

    3. Dita Von Teese almost stole the show with her saucy video montage.

    4. "My Mother Had A Brother" gets me every time. Without a doubt one of the most heartbreaking songs about homosexuality ever written.

    5. Speaking of gayness, dedicating "Amazing" to (his partner) Kenny was a nice touch. I also liked the banter about Mardi Gras and his amusing warning about over-zealous policemen.

    6. I wish he'd leave "Roxanne" to Sting. It was one of the night's few misfires.

    7. The ballad section was lovely. George has one of the most underrated voices in pop music.

    8. "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go" and "I Want Your Sex" were glaring omissions. I would have also loved to hear "Monkey" and "Precious Box".

    9. Vodka and Johnny Walker don't mix. Believe me, I learned the hard way.

    10. The highlight of the night was "Outside". The video projections were amazing and George rocked that police uniform.

    Source URL: http://popmusicrecords.blogspot.com/2010/02/george-michael-live-in-sydney.html
    Visit pop music records for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

Blog Archive