Aphrodite - Listening Party

    Earlier tonight I went along to Warner Australia's "Aphrodite" listening party and finally had the chance to hear Kylie's exquisite new album in full. I'm surprised I wasn't uninvited (like Alanis) after my last post but I'm glad no one held a grudge. The Prophet - my hot date to the event - has already written a mini-review and I pretty much agree with every word. As expected from the megamix and Amazon preview clips, "Aphrodite" is almost flawless. I'll have to play it again a couple (of hundred) more times to make my final verdict but, on first listen, it's very, very impressive.

    I was particularly surprised by how different some of the tracks sound from the previews - notably "Put Your Hands Up (If You Feel Love)", which is screaming out to be a future single and the endearingly trippy "Closer". As for the rest, "Get Outta My Way" still sounds like a sure bet as second single and Luciana's "Cupid Boy" is even more dark and delicious in its finished form. Most of the people I spoke to singled out the title track as a standout but to my ears it's a bit of a throwback to the Gwen Stefani-esque shenanigans on "X". Think the tour version of "Heart Beat Rock" with a better chorus. The Prophet got his stan on for "Illusion" and "Too Much" but I was more impressed with the album's only mid-tempo moment - the gorgeous "Everything Is Beautiful" - and relentlessly joyful "Can't Beat The Feeling". Bless Pascal Gabriel. We both agreed that "Looking For An Angel" is the only real stinker but it kind of sounds like a Dannii B-side so it will probably be my favourite track on the album by the time it's released!

    There really isn't much to criticise and I'm ruthless when it comes to Kylie - only because I love her so much and hold her to a higher standard than second rate imposters like Madonna and Britney! If pushed, I almost found it too cohesive. I kind of miss the rough around the edges playfulness of "X". A little bit of shit sometimes makes you appreciate the gems all the more! I also think the second half is ever so slightly weaker than the first but that is being extremely picky. "Aphrodite" is a stunning return to form that would have been a perfect follow-up to "Fever". In just, it picks up where that album left off - just with a slightly mellower, loved up perspective and a fresh batch of collaborators. Heidi, Ke$ha and Lolene now have serious competition for album of the year! Expect a full review when the album leaks is released.

    EDIT: The album has leaked (and no, it wasn't me)! Expect a full review in the next couple of days.Source URL: http://popmusicrecords.blogspot.com/2010/06/aphrodite-listening-party.html
    Visit pop music records for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

Blog Archive