Gypsy & The Cat - Jona Vark

    My friends have been raving about Gypsy & The Cat for ages but I wasn't really blown away by their first single ("Time To Wander") and kind of forgot about them until I saw their album on special in JB Hi-Fi a couple of weeks ago thought I'd give them another try. It turned out to be the best $10 I've spent all year. "Gilgamesh" is one of those rare debuts that actually lives up to the hype. Hailing from Melbourne, the boys sound like a cross between mid-70s Fleetwood Mac circa and fellow antipodean electro-pop duo Empire Of The Sun. Their dreamy brand of retro-electronica is perfect for a sleepy Sunday afternoon but also has immense crossover appeal.

    Take "Jona Vark". I can't believe this hasn't been a "Walking On A Dream" sized smash. The production is gorgeous and that chorus is unforgettable. It is starting to climb iTunes, so with a bit of luck it could turn out to be a slow burn hit. If not, I'm sure the boys will have more luck overseas. I can see this taking off in markets like the UK and Germany. You know, places that actually embrace Australian produced electro-pop. They might need to brush up the video a bit though because this looks like it was filmed for less than Empire Of The Sun's make-up budget. Not that it really matters when the music is this good. Very highly recommended.

    Source URL: http://popmusicrecords.blogspot.com/2011/04/gypsy-cat-jona-vark.html
    Visit pop music records for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

Blog Archive