Tranny Wars: La Chiquitta Vs La Prohibida

    Someone recently implied that Pop Trash was becoming too high brow - a claim that I vehemently deny! Who else features stunning divas like Ayna and Lori Watt? But I guess I have been more preoccupied with mainstream acts than usual, mostly due to Kylie's big comeback and the flood of singles that keep being released from "Sasha Fierce". So in a bid to get back to my trashy roots, I thought I would feature two old favourites - Hong Kong's hottest tranny La Chiquitta and Spain's reigning drag icon La Prohibida. It's almost unfair to pit these delicious divas against each other. They are both too fabulous for words and their latest anthems are equally amazing. However, I love a bit of wig pulling and thought... what the fuck!

    In the pink corner is La Chiquitta's mesmerising social commentary, "Tranny In The House". I featured the track in February but never got around to posting the amazing video (above). It's definitely been done on the cheap but Hong Kong's sexiest gender bender shows that wit and style go a very long way. I love the superhero special effects and the hilarious classroom scenes but my favourite thing is the ridiculous hand dance. I defy you not to join in! Oh and brace yourself for the sublime image of La Chiquitta lounging around with only face cream and a towel to cover her modesty. Ayumi and Utada could never!

    "Tranny In The House" sets the bar pretty high but La Prohibida was responsible for one of my favourite albums of 2009. Check out my review here. "Sr. Kubrick, ¿Qué Haría Usted?" lifted drag-pop to unprecedented heights and "Terechkova" (an ode to the world's first female astronaut) is one of the highlights. I'm not sure why the Spanish sex symbol took so long to release it as a single and film a video clip but I'm glad she finally got around to it. Considerably more money (ie. at least 100 Euro) has been thrown into this and the result is fucking stunning. The art direction is clever and the special effects are very well done. I love La Prohibida's glamorous space suit and I've always admired her bent towards kitsch instead of camp. I was going to declare this the winner by a fake nail but I worship both of them. So, who is your favourite international drag sensation?

    Source URL: http://popmusicrecords.blogspot.com/2010/06/tranny-wars-la-chiquitta-vs-la.html
    Visit pop music records for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

Blog Archive