Gettin' Sleazy With Ke$ha

    I have to preface this review by admitting that I'm struggling to maintain consciousness, hungover to within an inch of my life and wrapped up in my newly purchased K$ hoodie. Needless to say, I'm lovin' myself sick right but now if this write up... is complete and utter rubbish, please excuse me. It's the best I can do on 5% brain capacity. So, where to start? Ke$ha is the era defining voice of our generation. That's pretty much a universally accepted fact but it's still completely mindblowing to see her strut stuff in person. After sitting through endless concerts in which some half-arsed diva tries and fails to come across as an artiste - hello, RiRi! - it is beyond refreshing to see a skanky ho take the stage and rock her box off with no pretence or agenda. K Dollah is just there to have a good time and her energy is utterly infectious. The ironic thing is, beneath that trashy, I don't give a fuck image, lies one of the most talented women in popular music. It's a given that her lyrical genius is beyond comparison but she is also a great singer and phenomenal performer. It could just be the 35 vodka Red Bulls talking but every song sounded just as good, if not better, than it does on record - and no, she didn't mime or sing along to pre-recorded vocals. The Get Sleazy tour is raw and real. And I wish I could go again tonight.

    As far as the setlist goes, I think it was pretty spot on - apart from that fact that she didn't sing my jam "Stephen". What a bitch! But I'll forgive her because she belted out all my other faves starting with "Sleazy". Seriously hearing Ke$ha sing "gonna make me cum - all over ya face" (she changed the lyrics) surrounded by a sea of 12 year old girls is one of the most defining moments of life. And to think my first concert was Kylie's "Enjoy Yourself". When I was like practically still in the womb. Next up was the killer combination of "Take It Off", new track "Fuck Him He's A DJ" and "Dirty Picture". All were performed with minimal fuss, behind a drum kit with only some neon lights for distraction but I couldn't take my eyes of K$. She was working it like a 70s punk rocker - only with really gay songs about carrying a water bottle of whiskey in your handbag.

    After the restrained opening, Ke$ha came alive and prowled the stage like a wild animal - raising the roof with a brilliant rendition of "Blow". I can't believe I used to hate that song. It gets more amazing every time I hear it. That hit was followed by "Blah Blah Blah", "Party At A Rich Dude's House" and "Backstabber". Three of the highlights from her revolutionary debut. It was finally time for some jams from "Cannibal" and she started with the title track (next single please!) before taking things right down for the night's only ballad - the heartbreaking and truly gorgeous "Harold Song". I cried. Literally. She then introduced "Animal" as the best song she's ever written and it's hard to disagree. What a fucking anthem. I was glad she threw in "Dinosaur" but even more ecstatic when she dragged a cute plus sized queen out of the audience and serenaded him with "Grow A Pear". Complete with penis and pear costumes. Stunning and defining! From then on, K Dollah stuck to the hits. Closing with "Your Love Is My Drug", "Tik Tok" and "We R Who We R". What can I say? In 100 years from now when some dude is compiling the greatest hits of the 21st century all three of songs will be on it. Genius.

    10/10
    Source URL: http://popmusicrecords.blogspot.com/2011/03/gettin-sleazy-with-keha.html
    Visit pop music records for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

Blog Archive