Wynter Gordon - Live & Acoustic

    I guess I should start this post by reminding everyone that Wynter Gordon's debut album "With The Music I Die" was released on Friday. It's absolutely brilliant and you need to own it. Expect a full review soon. Now that's out of the way, time to talk about the gorgeous singer's Sydney showcase. When I hear a dance diva is doing an "acoustic set", I usually run in the opposite direction. Memories of Melissa Tkautz belting out "Sexy Is The Word" accompanied by only a piano still haunt my dreams but I had faith in Wynter. After all, this is the woman who cut her teeth on soulful jams like "Surveillance" before conquering the dance world - so I knew she would bring it. And she did.

    302 is a tiny venue the size of a luxurious toilet cubicle. So they really weren't lying when they said it was going to be intimate. Wynter squeezed her way through the horde of admiring gays and eventually sat down at a microphone with only a guitarist for back up. She started with a knock out rendition of "My Guy", which showcased exactly how strong her voice is. J Lo's favourite songwriter told us she had a sore throat but it was impossible to tell. She sounded flawless. Next up was "Til Death", which came across a lot darker pared back to basics, and a surprise cover of Katy Perry's "ET". I loved her version and think it would make a cool B-side somewhere down the track.

    I have to admit I had reservations about an acoustic rendition of "Dirty Talk" but it was a lot of fun. Her next surprise was a cover of Arcade Fire's "Wake Up". I have to admit I'm not familiar with the original but I'm going to hunt it down because Wynter's version was achingly beautiful. She closed the set with "Buy My Love", which has been confirmed as the next single from her album. I love the song and can imagine radio lapping this up. It's so cute and catchy! The only disappointment in an otherwise fantastic set was the absence of "Still Getting Younger". Happily, I was told that remixes have already been commissioned and the best song Kylie never released is firmly scheduled to be her fourth single. It's going to be massive!

    Source URL: http://popmusicrecords.blogspot.com/2011/06/wynter-gordon-live-acoustic.html
    Visit pop music records for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

Blog Archive