Beyoncé - Irreemplazable

    One of my favourite things about Beyoncé is her unprecedented ability to milk an album. Think about "Sasha Fierce" - four or five re-releases, a live CD, a live DVD, 9 singles and a compilation of remixes. The situation was pretty similar with "B'Day". Australia only got 3 singles and a tour edition but the rest of the world was blessed with 8 singles as well as a seemingly endless string of re-issues and what is probably my all time favourite Beyoncé collectible. "Irreemplazable" was released in late 2007 in a bid to crack the lucrative South American market. I'm not sure if the EP had the desired effect but I adore every second of it. The Spanish versions of "Listen", "Irreplaceable" and "Beautiful Liar" are uniformly fabulous and I'm addicted to the trashy reggaeton remix of "Get Me Bodied". However, one track stands head and shoulders above the rest. The Norteña remix of "Irreemplazable" would easily feature in my Beyoncé top 10, probably my top 5. And I can't explain why. I didn't know Norteña was a musical genre (from Mexico characterised by accordions and the bajo sexto) before this song and "Irreplaceable" doesn't even do it for me in English. The appeal probably lies in its novelty - Chola Bey makes a once in a career appearance - and the fact that it vaguely reminds me of the calypso explosion from the 1980s. Think La Toya's "On A Night Like This" and every second song Audrey Landers released between 1983 and 1987. To me this is the musical equivalent of a boozy afternoon in the summer sun. Interpret that as you will! Anyway, prepare yourself for Mexican Beyoncé - you just might like it.

    Source URL: http://popmusicrecords.blogspot.com/2010/05/beyonce-irreemplazable.html
    Visit pop music records for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

Blog Archive