Nelly Furtado - Night Is Young

    You know Christmas is coming when the shops begin to flood with 'greatest hits' packages and cynically timely re-releases. I really couldn't give a shit about most of them - with the obvious exception of Queen Ke$ha's future classic "Cannibal" - but I'll definitely grab a copy of "The Best Of Nelly Furtado" when it hits stores on the 15th of November. The Canadian pop star has always been a favourite of mine. I was literally obsessed with her debut album to the point where my ex-boyfriend threw it out the car window to avoid hearing "I'm Like A Bird" one more time. What a cunt! Then "Folklore" came along and I fell for her new, softer sound but also happily went along for the ride when she sold out and jumped on the Timbaland bandwagon. Nelly is nothing if not versatile!

    Since "Loose" propelled the diva back to the A List, she's been busy working on a number of side projects like her beautiful Spanish album "Mi Plan" (I don't care about her pronunciation, haters!) as well as collaborations with N.E.R.D. and Tiesto. I guess that makes Nelly's latest single a comeback of sorts - being her first solo, English language release since 2007's "Do It". Has it really been that long? The reaction to "Night Is Young" has been a bit mixed but, as usual, I'm on board. It's not the deepest song Nelly has ever written but I like the upbeat lyrics and fun chorus. With everyone from P!nk to Katy Perry churning out mindless party anthems, it would have been nice for her to do something different but I'm not complaining. "Night is Young" will do nicely over summer. There isn't a video yet but Nelly recently performed an acoustic version (below), which I think I actually prefer. She looks and sounds gorgeous. Can't wait to hear the other new tracks!

    Source URL: http://popmusicrecords.blogspot.com/2010/10/nelly-furtado-night-is-young.html
    Visit pop music records for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

Blog Archive