Nice Try, Willow Smith But You're No Ashley Tisdale!

    Unless you've been living under a rock or have no computer (which is basically the same thing), chances are you're already familiar with Willow Smith's "Whip My Hair". Over the past couple of weeks the song has become a cult phenomenon with parodies and cover versions flooding the internet. At first I thought it was just the novelty of Will Smith's daughter releasing a single but "Whip My Hair" is genuinely catchy - albeit in a slightly annoying and repetitive kind of way. I guess I also find it amusing that a 9 year old girl has put all the pretenders in check. "Whip My Hair" is fiercer than anything RiRi or CiCi has released in years! Willow also brings her A game to the video (below), which isn't half as cringeworthy as I expected. I'm not sure how I feel about a bunch of kids dancing like Kaci Battaqlia at a strip joint but it's cute and colourful. Most of all, it warms my heart that Willow recycled Eva Simons' wig from "Silly Boy"! Respect. However, as much as I'm warming to the new and improved Rihanna, there's one hurdle I can't quite overcome. Every time I hear "Whip My Hair" I get the urge to play Ashley Tisdale's stunning and vastly superior hair anthem.

    WATCH THE VIDEO HERE

    Of all the flop albums released by Disney queens (Vanessa Hudgens, Emily Osment etc), Ashley Tisdale's appropriately titled "Guilty Pleasure" is the most underrated. Released in 2009, the diva's sophomore album is a veritable treasure trove of trashy pop music. It only spawned one single - the fabulous Kelly Clarkson rip off "It's Alright, It's OK" - but has since developed a cult following thanks to amazing gems like "Hair". I almost wet myself laughing the first time I heard Ashley's ode to luscious locks. What drugs where the songwriters smoking when they came up with this stunning verse?

    Tonight I'm gonna fix it up real nice
    My Shirley Temple curls, I want you to mess 'em up
    I'll put on a bow 'cause I want you to know
    That you got your name on my heart


    The track is utterly ridiculous from beginning to end but I'm completely obsessed. I love the jawdroppingly bad lyrics, revel in the tacky chorus and ache for the diva's read thin vocals. "Hair" is a slice of pop trash heaven! I guess that's my problem with "Whip My Hair". Willow is just too classy to compete with a heavenly being like Ashley. Team Tisdale all the way!

    Source URL: http://popmusicrecords.blogspot.com/2010/10/nice-try-willow-smith-but-you-no-ashley.html
    Visit pop music records for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

Blog Archive